Creative thinking is what will save our sanity, help us rebuild, and create a new future. It helps us connect with people in new ways, and handle crisis with grace.
How do I know?
Because it always has in the past.
Now is the time for our collective and individual creativity – to unlock our unique and useful ideas for healing, beauty, and growth.
“Life shrinks or expands according to one’s courage.”
~ Anais Niin
Creativity has been overwhelmingly identified by global non-profits, technology companies, and CEOs as one of the most desirable attributes of leaders of all sorts, especially in sales.
Yet the dimming of our creative lights started early in childhood with a culture of schooling that demanded one right answer. Maybe you even grew up in a family where creativity or being an “artist” was seen as frivolous. No matter! You can still unleash and grow your creative spirit again:
If you’re not yet convinced, here are 10 reasons why beefing up your creative strengths is valuable now:
- It makes us better problem solvers
- We become more adaptive to change
- Our ability to synthesize information increases
- We become future-oriented and less ruminative on the past
- You’re better at utilizing available resources for a variety of purposes
- Your sense of humor increases
- It helps us visualize new ideas
- We become more imaginative
- Our empathy and emotional intelligence increases
- We’re able to connect seemingly irrelevant things together
Don’t those seem like fabulous attributes to have in your life and work now? (Creative thinking for sales leaders is especially important!)
And before your Inner Mean Girl/Bitch Brain can chime in, let me assure you:
You are creative.
And creativity can be cultivated, strengthened like a muscle.
Like Luke, running through the swamps of Dagobah with Yoda on his back, I’m here to be your Creative Jedi guide…
Your training begins now.
Here are 4 keys to becoming a Creative Jedi:
- Practice your creative activities: it actually builds brain tissue and your mind learns to recruit neural networks quicker and better. Pick up your pens, paper, paints, instrument, favorite writing software, or dance music.
- Practice some more.
- Avoid distractions and addictive behaviors that drain your creative energies:
- Drug-like foods (sugar, whatever slows you down)
- Social media
- Drama (think getting distracted in other people’s problems)
- Practice some more. Get back to the page, the painting, the creation, the dance. Over and over again. Day after day. That’s how a Creatrix builds a successful career and a healthy, satisfying life.
Make your home a Creative Jedi training base (like Luke on Dagobah with Yoda):
- Make intentionally unstructured time and space
- A table, a room, a corner of your private outdoor patio.
- Enlist your partner or children to agree to give you quiet time. Put your headphones on to indicate you’re in deep creative mode.
- Bring your paper, pens, crayons, sticks, clay or music.
- Set a timer for 30-60 minutes and don’t allow distractions to interfere
- Encourage failure
- Aim to make 10 bad pieces or 10 awful paragraphs
- Get the ideas out of your head and into a real-world creation
- Failure is the key to creativity. Just keep making. Loosen up. Make impossible, “unsuccessful” stuff. There be gold in them thar hills!
- Channel your Inner Yoda
- Don’t grade yourself, just make stuff. Notice what you resonate with
- If you hear your inner mean girl judging, stick your tongue out at her
- Be willing to unlearn what you’ve learned and try new things.
As you strengthen your creative muscles you’ll be more able to adapt and deal with change. As you grow your dedication to practice, your creative thinking in sales and business will grow, too!
You’ll be able to see and take advantage of new opportunities.
You’ll see those opportunities and get ideas for how to create answers and tools to serve them. Pair your creativity with your values, and you’ll be calm, focused, and unstoppable.
And that’s how we’ll save ourselves with our creativity.
It’s how we’ll save, and serve, each other.
“Trust that still, small voice that says, ‘this might work and I’ll try it.’” ~ Diane Mariechild
When you know your values, you’re more likely to feel resilient in tough times. #values
We believe passionately that the world needs more aligned teams, organizations, communities, families, and intimate partnerships.
Let us help you deepen relationships at home, and strengthen culture and performance at work, with proven methods for effective crucial conversations.
Does your work team frustrate rather than support you? Get our Radical Alignment Team Culture Toolkit and start to fix it now: